Sunday, July 13, 2014

Santiago de Compostela to Baiona

Got up early to present my Credencial and collect my Compostela - about six people (including 3 Aussies) were already there.



Here it is. In Spain, these certificates help you get hired.


The first pilgrims of the day arriving at the portico of the Cathedral.


After more than a week of walking at different schedules, Heidi found me among the 2-3000 congregants at the noon pilgrim's mass (she's not just my angel - I later met about 10 other people who also love her to bits). 

The highlight is at the end of the mass, when six acolytes raise and swing the famous Botafumeiro. I got there an hour early to snag a good spot in the transept (where you can best see it swing).

 
I picked up a rental car and headed for Baiona on the Atlantic coast. Tomorrow I'll drive to Finisterre (translates as End of the Earth) before returning to Santiago for the flight to Madrid - and then home.




The old fort on the headland - it now houses a parador.




1 comment: